Cleanings & Exams
The Boutique Difference
Our spa-like dental office in Sandy Springs, Georgia utilizes the latest technology, including low-exposure digital radiographs, to complete an all-encompassing comprehensive routine exam. Early detection of all dental related issues can lead to early intervention, which prevents the development of serious oral health conditions. At the Boutique, we want all of our patients to feel relaxed and comfortable when they visit our office. Check our comfort menu below:
Oral health: A window to your overall health
Did you know that your mouth is a window to your overall health? Since your mouth is the entry point to your digestive system, if there is harmful bacteria in your mouth, it could spread to other parts of your body. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing can keep the growth of bacteria in your mouth under control.
The two types of cleanings at the Boutique:
- Prophylaxis – commonly called a “prophy” is a treatment that involves polishing the teeth to control bacteria on the teeth and just beneath the gum line. A prophy is typically performed twice per year, or every six months, to maintain healthy gums and teeth.
- Scaling and Root planing SRP (deep cleaning) – An SRP is essentially scraping the calculus off the roots of your teeth, below the gum line, either with a metal scaler or with an ultrasonic scaler. The calculus forms from hardened plaque, which is naturally produced from food and saliva over time, and has to be mechanically removed from the teeth. This type of cleaning may need to be split into two separate appointments to avoid discomfort for the patient.
Why do I need to have my teeth cleaned twice a year by a hygienist at Boutique for Cosmetic Dentistry?
A dental hygienist acts as a gatekeeper to the world of oral health. Here are a few reasons why you need to see a dental hygienist every six months:
Rather than just visiting the dentist when you know something’s wrong, you should try to prevent these issues by seeing the hygienist. While they’re cleaning your teeth, your hygienist will also be able to spot any potential issues, and may even be able to catch them before they get any worse. And your hygienist isn’t just checking for cavities. They can identify and address a wide range of oral health issues such as gum disease, TMJ, tooth grinding, or headaches. Hygienists can also perform oral cancer screenings.
Your teeth may feel and appear fine, but by just brushing and flossing at home, you can’t prevent all plaque buildup. Your dental hygienist will perform a thorough cleaning, including plaque removal, fluoride application, polishing, and stain removal. Not only will this keep your teeth and gums healthy, it will also give you a bright, white smile!
Our registered hygienist, Shannon possesses a wealth of knowledge about oral health. She will be able to educate you about proper dental hygiene, and answer any oral healthcare questions. Your hygienist can show you how to floss properly (don’t be afraid to ask, we all need a refresher once in a while!), making sure you get every little bit of debris out of there! Shannon recommends getting a water flossing to use for hard to reach areas. Her advice is to use your water flosser while you are in the shower to avoid water flying all over your clothes.
Early signs of many serious health issues can manifest orally. Our hygienist can spot subtle changes in your oral health that could hint at larger medical problems, such as diabetes, heart disease, oral cancer, and kidney disease.
Most people should have a professional dental cleaning and exam twice a year. During these periodic visits, our caring hygienist will remove any existing bacteria and monitor your gums for the development or progression of periodontal disease (gum disease). Oral health studies show that a lack of dental cleaning leads to bad bacteria and can cause:
- Heart Infection
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Osteoporosis Pregnancy Complications
- Respiratory Disease
- Gum Disease
After getting your dental cleaning at Boutique for Cosmetic Dentistry, you will leave our office with the knowledge you need to maintain your overall oral health.
How can you take care of your overall oral health at home?
To protect your oral health, practice good oral hygiene daily.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled brush using fluoride toothpaste. We recommend using an electric toothbrush if you are able to get one.
- Floss daily.
- Use mouthwash to remove food particles left after brushing and flossing.
- Eat a healthy diet and limit food with added sugars.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months or sooner if bristles are splayed or worn.
- Schedule regular dental checkups and cleanings.
- Avoid tobacco use.
Want to schedule an appointment?
Trying to find a dentist near you? We are conveniently located in the Atlanta Metropolitan area, serving patients in Sandy Springs as well as in the surrounding areas of East Cobb, Roswell, Dunwoody, and Brookhaven. In addition to calling, you can also conveniently book an appointment online with our Dentist in Sandy Springs. We hope to see you visiting Boutique for Cosmetic Dentistry soon.